CHARGE 1: ACTIVE DESTRUCTION OF EMPLOYMENT AND LIVELIHOODS THROUGH DEMONETISATION
- The move for demonetisation was undertaken without planning, without co-ordination and without any sensitivity to the needless suffering inflicted upon the people and the damage done to the economy. The Modi government has been steadfast in its refusal to ensure any accountability for this huge policy error.
CHARGE 2: SHARP CUTS IN IMPORTANT SOCIAL SPENDING
- Sharp cuts in important social spending has affected the material conditions of all citizens, especially the poor.
- MNREGA has been strangulated by denying funds to state government despite the requirements of the law, leading to delayed wage payments and gaps in implementation. Not increasing MNREGA wages in line with inflation.
- The BJP government has constantly made false claims about central government expenditure and deficits, while it has, routinely, not repaid debt and claims of public sector enterprises, Food Corporation of India, MNREGA, etc.
CHARGE 3: CREATING A CRISIS IN AGRICULTURE AND EMPLOYMENT
- The current BJP government has created a crisis in agriculture and has added to rural distress by not addressing the concerns and difficulties of farmers, reducing public spending on agricultural research and extension, not ensuring remunerative prices, allowing farmers’ debts to get out of hand, and has made trade policies more focussed on controlling food inflation than ensuring profitability of cultivation.
- The government has created a crisis of unemployment in the country, with open unemployment rates reaching the highest in 45 years and massive unemployment among the educated youth in particular.
CHARGE 4: POOR MANAGEMENT OF GST, BANKING SYSTEM, CORRUPTION AND THE EROSION OF THE STATISTICAL OFFICE
- Poor implementation of the GST, insisting on a short time frame for rollout without adequate preparation, creating a very complex tax system with very cumbersome requirements affected small companies adversely.
- Damaging the banking system, by allowing wilful defaulters of bank loans to continue without taking any action against them; suppressing the list of bank frauds and not bringing fraudsters to book
- Damaging the banking system also by allowing original promoters to take back control of assets they have run down without enforcing full repayment of loans. The value of bank frauds has by four times since this government took office.
- Failing to control corruption and scams, despite draconian measures that have affected the functioning of blameless ordinary citizens.
- Destroying the well-established official statistical system for petty political motives, by undermining the autonomy of the statistical officers
- Trying to manipulate official data and actively suppressing and not releasing any information that may reflect badly on the government’s performance.