CHARGE 1: FAILURE TO RESPOND ADEQUATELY TO, AND EVEN FACILITATING INCIDENTS OF HATE VIOLENCE
- According to a database maintained by the portal, IndiaSpend, 279 hate crimes incidents have been reported since 2009. Of these, 30 percent of mob lynching attacks are in the name of cow-protection, 14 percent are to protest inter-religious relationships, 9 percent are spurred by allegations of religious conversions and in several of the remainder, the reasons are not confirmed. In cases of religious violence, Muslims, who comprise 14 percent of India’s population, were the victims in 62 percent of cases. In contrast, Hindu’s who comprise more than 80 percent of India’s population, were victims in only 10 percent of these cases.
- Additionally, with respect to cow-related hate attacks, Muslims and Dalits were 84 percent and 80 percent of those killed, respectively. 97 percent and 90 percent of cow related and religious hate crimes respectively have occurred after the election of the right-wing Hindu nationalist Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP)
CHARGE 2: ALLOWING RSS TO ENCOURAGE, PROMOTE AND FOSTER ENVIRONMENT OF HATE
- As high as 83 per cent of the hate crimes were by attackers who were allegedly affiliated with right-wing Hindu nationalist organizations and closely affiliated with the ruling, Bhartiya Janata Dal (BJP). This includes the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, Bajrang Dal, Hindu Yuva Vahini and Vishwa Hindu Parishad, among others, as well as current members of the political parties of the BJP and its ideological sibling, the Shiv Sena.
CHARGE 3: THE GROSS DERELICTION OF DUTY EXHIBITED BY THE POLICE OFFICIALS
- Families that were bereaved by hate violence are left bereft of hope of either protection or justice from the state and the police. Instead of providing them with relief in the form of legal justice and social economic entitlements, they are harassed by the law enforcement officials and denied compensation of any kind which further glorifies the stigma associated with their identity.
- A lynch mob, for instance, attacks a vehicle transporting cattle, killing some of the transporters. The police register criminal cases of illegal cow smuggling, animal cruelty and rash driving against the victims. It obliterates completely the fact that the men were lynched.
CHARGE 4: LACK OF COMPASSION & EMPATHY BY CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANISATION AND LOCAL COMMUNITIES TOWARDS VICTIMS OF HATE CRIME
- In most of these local communities, there has been a profound and pervasive absence of compassion towards the victims of such hate crimes and hate violence.